Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reader's Digest of Updates

___________
We raised over $6000 with the Ema Art for Japan Fundraiser... WOWOWOW! THANKS to each and every one of you that participated, checked out the auctions and supported the cause. It was a bit of a nightmare working with Mission Fish (and I flat out can say, "DON'T USE THEM.") since they are greedy little buggers. But overall it was a huge labor of love and I'm proud to have been able to help Japan in some tiny way.
____________


____________


In Los Angeles, for the "Year of the Labbit" at the Japanese American National Museum, I have a custom Labbit on view from July 14 through September 11, 2011. My "Pooka" is showcased with mighty talent all around, including work by Edwin Ushiro, Yoskay Yamamoto, Camilla d'Errico, Lou Pimentel and Harmony Gong amongst others. All pieces are for sale, support the museum and the artists.

"Pooka", customized Labbit by me. Acrylic, Sculpey and Love.

"Pooka" close-up of riding babooshka.


Blank Labbit with Sculpey droppings.
____________


____________

Kelly Vivanco's painting with bonus Kraken(s).

I'm currently working on a piece for the 5 year celebration show at Subtext Gallery in Little Italy, San Diego. The show is titled, "Release the Kraken" and has local talent repainting collected works of art depicting water with a "Kraken" added to the scenes. I wish I could be there for the opening of this show on August 12th... but alas I will be in New York City for work, play and adventures! If you attend the opening, please takes loads of photos and share the experience with me. Wish I could be in two places at once.


KRAKEN BEFORE/AFTER
Lebedinoye Ozero by Anonymous & Christina Conway
Acrylic and Velvet Painting on Cardboard


____________


____________


In August, I'll be visiting NYC (and New Jersey) for almost two weeks. Can't wait!!! It's mostly for pleasure so I have next to nothing to complain about... even with the weather predicting to be H-O-T. Can't wait to visit my art friends and see all the things that make NYC, NYC.
____________

____________

"I ♡ Unicorns", an early work by Christy Conway
(yes, in the days of unicorns I was a Christy).

AND... In the works for this Fall is a show I'm curating for Subtext Gallery, "School Night Open House", with artists reinterpreting existing works of art from their youth. The line-up is truly incredible and gives me goose-bumps each time I review - Check out these artists and links for yourself and see why YOU MOST DEFINITELY SHOULD BE IN ATTENDANCE November 11, 2011 - that's 11/11/11 for all you number kids out there.
Confirmed Artists:
Allison Sommers www.allisonsommers.com

Audrey Kawasaki www.audrey-kawasaki.com


Celëne Petrulak www.celeneart.com

Chris Ryniak www.chrisryniak.com


Harmony Gong www.harmonygong.com

Jeya www.jeniyang.com


Katherine Brannock www.katherinebrannock.com

Kelly Vivanco www.kellyvivanco.com

Leung Ka-Yin, Joey www.leungkayin.com



Nimit Malavia nimitmalavia.com

Soey Milk milkbomb.blogspot.com


Yoskay Yamamoto www.yoskay.com

Zoë Williams www.x03.org


____________



3 comments:

Jen Lobo said...

So great that you raised that much! Such a sweet & generous gesture.

Christy's dad said...

That was an unbelievable sum that you were able to put together with the help of all those who contributed. I know it was a gift from a generous heart. dad

Anonymous said...

I love your piece for the Labbit show so darn much, it is amazing!!