Friday, October 2, 2009

Kokeshi: From Folk Art to Art Toy, Bids Adieu

It is a bittersweet thing to write that the Kokeshi show at the Japanese American National Museum has come to an end. It's been an amazing experience having the opportunity to work and show at such a respectable space. I know it was a first for many artists to have their work in a museum and for a few... the first time to show their work to the public, anywhere. Gives me goosebumps thinking about the opportunities that have happened and are in the works and in the future for so many amazing creatives. I'm keeping my toes, fingers and cats' mitts crossed for more adventures in the future where I can continue to work with such incredible talent. To the new friends I made, I am truly honored to have had the privilege to meet you (online or in-person) and to now know you on a first name basis, lucky lucky me!

Meeting so many artists this year has been intoxicating and as a result I was inspired to collect my own "Yearbook" of autographs from a few I spent some time with in-person. Below is a necklace book that I found at Renegade Craft Fair in LA, the day after the Kokeshi show opened, July 11. The maker of this beloved treasure is Found and Made Designs.

2009 Yearbook Necklace
1.5" x 2" book made from random papers and old book cover.

Can you figure out who the artists are based on the signatures and doodles (click here for larger images)? I'll send a Blank Artist Kokeshi to the first person to correctly match them up with the list below (sorry artist friends, if you're in the book, you can't participate, you already know the secrets it holds):


Many hearts and hugs to everyone that made this show and my amazing year possible. Thank you! -c

No comments: