Monday, September 17, 2007

Kokeshi Artists

I've been working on a project since late July that I feel is ready to be "let out of the bag". I started a flickr page where I could put all the artists involved in one place. The collection has blossomed into this set of amazing and note-worthy artists. I never thought my little idea would grow into something so incredible.

I approached a local gallery, Subtext, with an idea I had for a group art show. It was really just an off-shoot from a project I thought I might do with a fellow artist. I thought the show would be more interesting if there were additional artists included. I started selecting local artists I admired and then including Los Angeles artists I didn't know well, but had met briefly in the past.

The response was overwhelming. What started as a group show for maybe 30 artists has now turned into a group show with 78! At last count, we are expecting 85 pieces of custom art to be shown at Subtext Gallery.

What is the show about? The beloved Kokeshi doll.

No comments: